Monday, August 25, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Static/Voice/Static “O-BITCH-U-WARY”


                For all of the Static/Voice/Static cassettes (And I’ve managed to get them all except for two), this is their first release which is actually not on the Captain Crook Records brand.   I never really had any mixed emotions about whether or not that would be a good thing or a bad thing in terms of “who needs who” because in some ways I feel like maybe they haven’t broken up and this will just be better for everyone all around because it could ultimately just lead to more music and that’s really all that matters.

                As it stands right now, I have another Static/Voice/Static cassette on its way to me, but also there are three cassettes from Captain Crook Records I just bought as well.   So in some ways it can be beneficial to Captain Crook Records in the sense that some of their artists can get recognition and it’s not at all like, “Oh no, SVS isn’t on Captain Crook anymore, so now I won’t be reviewing anything from them” because, well, two Cyberpeanuts and a Turbo Snail/Safewerd split cassette are on their way to me as I type this (When this is posted and you’re reading it, they should already have arrived and been listened to at that)

                The idea behind the title of this cassette reminds me of someone saying “Oh, bitch, you wary!” in the way that they would also tell someone “you crazy” or the such.   On some level though, this reminds me musically of a straight up obituary in the sense that this music is reminiscent of the dead or at least dying.
               
                We begin with glitch loops of audio that cannot be translated with synthetic, blissful waves.    Those same waves can become somewhat celestial in nature, which makes me think perhaps of angels coming to carry you away into the afterlife, yet they also can have this Ghost in the Machine quality that would rather suggest robots. 

                Into Side B and beyond we have suggestions of a haunting kind, which certainly make me think of death, but then there is also something beyond that within the Milky Way and a sort of space wars sounds.    That brings me to the conclusion that while this might be a combination of elements it does form its own sort of scene. 

                In the Lord of the Rings, there is a part where Aragorn must summon up the spirits of dead pirates to help him fight.   I know it’s a bit more complex than “ghost pirates”, but for the sake of not having to explain it all here and working under the assumption that you know what I’m talking about, let me leave it at that.    So, what this release by Static/Voice/Static reminds me of is that same idea only in space and with some sort of astronauts or space rangers, you know, not quite Star Wars and not quite Buck Rogers, but close and instead of being living they’re ghosts. 






No comments:

Post a Comment