Wednesday, July 9, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Dhampyr “The Voynich Tape” (5cm Recordings)


            When I first got this cassette, I hadn’t heard of Dhampyr before, but after looking the name up on Bandcamp I can see numerous releases and some of them even on cassette.   This is the type of thing I like to see on Bandcamp when I throw your name into the search engine, though relatively new artists with only one cassette or so under their belts are also fine by me, so I’m not sure if any of this even matters.

            “The Voynich Tape” begins as a synth based ambient drone type of piece, and though it goes in and out in waves and then enters a sort of climbing feel, the fact is that this has that good overall feel of ambience from the start and it is familiar with other artists in this genre, though there are perhaps too many of them for me to start naming names now.

`           As Side A continues and Side B begins as well, the mood of this music takes a turn to the dark side.   It becomes almost grave in a way, as it is somewhere between Nine Inch Nails and Stabbing Westward or something almost gothic that I’ve never listened to before.  

            Ever since I woke up this morning, the sky has been overcast.   There have been periods where it has been brighter or raining less, but whether it rains or not, the sun is not shining today and the darkness might get brighter but it is still darkness.   Today is a windy, somewhat cold (especially for June) day that looks like it could erupt in a thunderstorm at any given second.

            So it is kind of odd to me that I picked today, of all days, to write a review for this cassette by Dhampyr, as the music on here seems to reflect the absence of light outside my windows.   That fine line between night time and really dark day time—that is what this music best represents.  






No comments:

Post a Comment