Monday, June 9, 2014

RECORD REVIEW: MHFS “Alone Together #4: The Grey Lynn Homeless Set” (Emerald Cocoon)


                MHFS are the initials of the composer of this music, though I always misread it as “MFHS” and think it means motherfucking high school, but hey, that might just be me.   Each side is split into two tracks, which is different from the other two Alone Together series records as they only had one song per side.

                This opens with buzzing guitars that sound like can openers and then there are guitar strings being scratched to create that sort of effect.   The second track on the first side then takes us into beats that almost are 8bit and just have these random patterns.   In some ways, listening to just this first side, which is under two minutes worth of music, already reminds me of just flipping through radio stations.

                The flip side is a little bit darker, as some Nine Inch Nails does come out.  It’s distorted and there is actually singing now.    The fourth track on here just proves that every song pretty much sounds like it was recorded by a different artist, as it brings out that rusty guitar feel with some vocals.   It’s down tempo, like a lighter Local H in that depressing sort of way.

                Right before it ends, all I can make out is something about “fucking angry” and “play guitar”.   I’m not sure what to make of this, but I feel like it’s some sort of puzzle in the sense that there might be pieces of it hidden inside that I just haven’t found yet, but the more I listen to it the more it shall reveal itself to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment