Friday, May 23, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: William Alexander “Girls' Basketball” (Juniper Tree Songs)

            I know two things about basketball as it is played by females:  First, the WNBA seems to be the butt of a lot of jokes and second in Connecticut, at UCONN specifically, the womens' basketball program seems to be a lot better than the mens'.   I'm not sure what either of those have to do with this cassette, but I do find the lack of a role model in womens' basketball rather sad.  I would assume girls growing up would want to be Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson, as I have no female point to reference.  That really makes me wish that womens' basketball was taken more seriously.

            But, I digress and shall get to the music.  William Alexander has a rock band that comes off somewhere between High Pop, Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins and The Stereo.  The last song on Side A sings about Jamie, but alas, it is not Weezer. 

            At times, these songs can be simply summed up as instrumental bedroom pop.   But from the first to second side, they slowly progress.  By the end of Side B- really, the last two songs it feels like- we've almost gone full blown synth pop on some level.   It makes a nice, gradual sort of shift from start to finish, so I enjoy that Side A doesn't just sound like a slightly altered version of Side B. 

            Overall, there should be something for you to take out of at least one of these songs whether you are female or care about basketball. 






No comments:

Post a Comment