Thursday, April 10, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Gora Sou “Troposphere Themes”


http://sicsic.bandcamp.com/album/troposphere-themes-sicsic068

            When I was recently exposed to the music of Gora Sou, I put the name into the Band Camp search engine and not only did I find a sold out cassette on Further Records, but I also found this cassette available for a Name Your Price Download through the Gora Sou Band Camp or purchase through Sic Sic Tapes.  This means that of the three releases Gora Sou has listed on Band Camp, all three are available on cassette, which I just think is fabulous. 

            These songs have ambient ins and outs, they have those hints of the bottle noises or when someone taps on drinking glasses filled with different levels of water.  “Isolated Rhythm” can get a little bit funky, and there are some lasers as well as distant horns.  One of the most interesting aspects of these songs perhaps as well is the record scratching tones that come out.

            Albeit a bit of an oxymoron, I like to think of this as being similar to the sound of quiet thunder.  I realize, after thinking about it for a while, that thunder can be quiet in the sense that it can rumble in the distance and thus be somewhat muted, but it does become difficult to actually what I fully mean by quiet thunder without hearing this one yourself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment