Tuesday, April 1, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Sylvia Monnier “Lucinda’s River” (Seconds Records)


                The sound of synth and other static devices has become a somewhat common place for me lately; though it is not nearly common enough as I am neither growing tired of it nor do I think that there shouldn’t be more of it still.   In this particular case, on this cassette called “Lucinda’s River”, we have an artist from France bringing out a sound I have heard before now from more countries than I care to count.    I just simply love when music like this can spread into a worldwide phenomenon of sorts, yet some people you’d ask them (Okay, most people) and they’d have no idea what you were talking about.

                It reminds me of how I saw this promoted link earlier today that wanted me to click it so I could enter to win tickets to see some DJ and someone else, and all I could think when I read their names was, “Who?”.   And I’m no pop snob—I know my fair share of mainstream acts if only by name.  But then I couldn’t help think how I could name some of my favorite artists right now and they’d have the similar reaction of question.

                Between the synth, the drone, the waves that go in and out and just the overall vibe of this cassette in general, it reminds me a lot of an alien signal being transmitted, but even more so it reminds me of some sort of twisted take on how the “War of the Worlds” by H.G. Wells was once broadcast over the radio and thought to be real.  Only in this scenario, the public might not see this as being as real and this might in fact just be the real message that H.G. Wells intended to send all of those years ago.   Tomorrow night, I am going to play this towards the sky and see what happens next. 






No comments:

Post a Comment