Monday, April 14, 2014

CARTOON REVIEW: Clarence "Fun Dungeon Face Off / A Pretty Great Day With a Girl"

           Last month, Cartoon Network premiered an eleven minute sneak preview of their new show “Clarence”, which really in a lot of ways set the pace for the show.  Surprisingly, when the show made its official debut on April 14th, 2014, that sneak peak wasn’t replayed because it felt like a nice introduction that if people missed before could help get them hooked like I am.  (I watched it twice)

                The premiere of “Clarence” featured two eleven minute episodes, which I can only assume would be numbers two and three in what would ultimately become Season One.   In the first of the two, Clarence goes with Jeff and Sumo to a fast food place that has a name and feels like KFC but overall the products and play area of McDonald’s or Burger King.  

                Jeff, who only likes the fries, learns about germs and having fun, and while this is a funny episode and I can understand why they did it, I’d like to discuss an underlying theme in this episode and that is kid’s meal toys.    When ordering, Jeff is very specific about wanting the “boy toy”, only to later be disappointed by receiving the “girl toy” of some sort of cow in a dress. 

                While I understand that this was done for the reason of this is how children think and all, perhaps we as adults need to condition our children and youths in general to realize that there are no such things as “boy toys” and “girl toys” because boys can play with My Little Pony or Hello Kitty just as much as girls can be Transformers or G.I. Joe. 

                What is funny though is that the scrappy, very weird Sumo (Who has Clarence cut his hair in the preview episode) takes the unwanted toy and befriends it, while also becoming quite sullen over leaving the restaurant and forgetting it there.  I like the fact that it doesn’t have the innocently playful or too smart for his own good kid playing with the “girl toy”, but rather the one who you would most likely think in society wouldn’t want to play with it.

                In the second half of this premiere, Clarence and Amy (who is introduced for the first time) climb a giant rock out in the woods, get into a pine cone fight with some kids who seem like bullies, yet Clarence just seems to be too naïve to realize they are bullies.

                Oh, and Sumo is there for some reason.

                I love the fact that Clarence eats the moss.  I have decided that I enjoy this show, as I have explained it to others, because it has the coolness factor of “Regular Show” mixed with the offbeat comedy of “Adventure Time” only it’s about younger kids and doesn’t take place in a magic land where everyone is made of candy.   It’s very real, but not too real as sometimes it can be odd.  Sure, life is odd at times as well, but this goes above and beyond that a little bit for the show, right?  As the parent of a two year old, I shouldn’t be looking forward to this show becoming my life soon… should I?

                

No comments:

Post a Comment