Wednesday, March 12, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Vincent’s Left Ear “We’re Always Afraid”


                At first impression, Vincent’s Left Ear reminds me of a better version of Andrew WK, but that’s not really saying that much because Andrew WK is just so awful.   It’s distorted and screamy, which reminds me more of grunge than anything else as I get further into it and give it more than one listen.

                The growls at times remind me of Dave Grohl when he really just belts it out, which sadly he seems to do more live than on record.    There is also an overall quality of Mudhoney here, which I really do enjoy.  It’s just that raw angst mixed with passion that creates something so real, yet at the same time you don’t want to fuck with it.

                The second side opens with a song that resembles the B-52s at first, before getting angry and heavy.   After some back and forth banter of “I spoke too soon / Get over it!” I can begin to hear hints of bands like As Friends Rust and/or Silent Drive.  These could even just be in the ways that the singing is elongated, sort of dragged out but in a good way.

                These songs are really good and take me back to a time when I was most heavily into music (aka the era of grunge), yet they also have enough modern tones so as to not make me feel as if this is a band out of place in a different time.   Blending the then and now can be a difficult task for many bands, but VLE just makes it feel so seamless. 







No comments:

Post a Comment