Thursday, February 13, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Nostalgia 77 "A Journey Too Far" (Tru Thoughts)


            The first thing that I learned about this album is that it also appears on Band Camp, because after listening to it on Spotify I saw it come up by name on the Band Camp home page several times.  So I will include the link for Tru Thoughts at the end of this, though I spent my time listening to it on Spotify and, yes, it costs money to download.

            The second thing that I noticed about this band was that they have a most awesome cover of The White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army” with guest vocalist Alice Russell.  That song isn’t on this album, and the fact that Alice Russell sings on it makes me think this will be instrumental, but hey, it’s Alice freaking Russell, so who cares. 


            Somewhere between the music of a Schroeder led party on a Peanuts cartoon and classic jazz/funk, Nostalgia 77 brings out a sound I wish I knew more about and heard more of these days for that matter.  It could be the soundtrack to Jackie Brown, but whatever you call it I love these horns of steel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment