Monday, February 3, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Against Me! "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" (Total Treble / Xtra Mile Recordings)


            When listening to this album and deciding it was the first Against Me! album I would reviewing under the Raised by Gypsies banner, I had to go back and see when I first heard of this band.  It was back when they released “As the Eternal Cowboy” because I somehow got that as a press release back when I was doing NCA.   Weird, huh?

            What’s even weirder about it (to me) is that when I looked at Spotify it said that “Eternal Cowboy” was released in 2003.  Yikes.  Had my love affair really been ten years long?  While gratifying in some ways, it also made me feel rather… well, old.

            Against Me! have been through some changes since I’ve last reviewed them, which was probably ten years ago, and I only knew about the reference in the album title because of a free subscription to Rolling Stone that ended horribly.  (Although I would have eventually found out as I’ve been getting recent press releases for the band. Full circle, right)

            Songs like “Osama Bin Laden as the Crucified Christ” channel The White Stripes whilst “Dead Friend” can bring up The Thermals, but this mostly is just that angry, gritty, one take sounding punk rock that we’ve all known to come and love from this band. 

            If not for the ten year gap in my reviews, I’d say this is just another album and another awesome piece of music, as Against Me! really have yet to let me down, but I do feel something significant in the time lapse here for some reason.

            Oh, and if you have a problem with the whole sex change thing then please do fuck right off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment