Monday, September 23, 2013

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Thao and the Get Down Stay Down “We the Common”

             While I feel confident that I have heard this band before in name only, I do not recall ever having actually heard their music.  Since 2013 seems to be the year that every band that has ever existed seems to want to drop a new album, regardless of whether or not they just did so last year, I picked this  as the prime opportunity to find out what all this getting down and staying down was about.

            Thao and the Get Down Stay Down have some different styles throughout their music, but they become at their core a boisterous R&B/jazz/blues rock outfit.  Channeling everyone from Mirah to The White Stripes, I also can hear Primitive Radio Gods at times as well as PJ Harvey. 

            One of the biggest influences I can discern in here also is of the late Amy Winehouse.  It’s that bells and whistles idea only with horns and sass.

            I also really like these lyrics, because they can be somewhat catchy and rhyming, but still clever.  “All they wanted was a villain and all they had was me” particularly strikes a chord with me.


            So you have a vibrant singer, an energetic accompanying band and lyrics that you can use as Facebook status updates.   Pretty hard to go wrong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment