Friday, July 12, 2013

SBSR: Tokyo Gore Police “Bloom”

http://tokyogorepolice.bandcamp.com/album/bloom
Name Your Price Download

<1> “Summerdance” – Yes, this EP comes before “Invisibility” and I’m reviewing it after, so let’s see how it goes.  We’re coming through with faint vocals and a guitar so far.  It could kick in to any number of things right now, or just not kick in even.  We have vocals though, so either TGP changed their sound on “Invisibility” or it was just a onetime thing they did.   This does have a very somber tone to it though.  Oh, until about the two minute mark and then we kick right in.  This is kind of how I always imagined a shoegaze Tom Petty song sounding. 
<2> “Circus Freaks” – And this one starts off the way I like.  We’re getting into some fast rock here, kind of like if Nirvana was closer to a garage band.  There are also a lot of guitar notes in this.  I wish there was a band I could compare it to, but the closest thing I can come up with is Matthew Sweet.   This is quite possibly one of my favorite TGP songs right now, if not one of my favorite songs of 2013.   If you’re making a playlist for any occasion, put this song in it.  We’re passing the 2:45 mark and I can really hear the drums.  Is it too late to reference the Dandy Warhols?
<3> “The Cold Embrace!” – This song begins with an acoustic guitar.  It sounds sad.  “No one knows what the future holds”.   This could be an Elliott Smith cover, in another time and place.  I’m not saying this is copying Elliott Smith so much as I just find this song to be on a similar level with his body of work.  At the minute marker, we get a little pop in the vocals and that just shows how raw this is.  In fact, it keeps coming back every time he says “change”.    Well, almost every time—it missed that time.  Oh blah dee oh blah dah, life goes on.   And near the three minute mark we get a breakdown with different words.  He says “these six letters are all that I need”.   What’s six letters?  Let the speculation begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment