- Being from California and being that your location seems to be reflected in your music, I have always subscribed to the theory that California would one day earthquake its way into an island or underwater. Would you perhaps make an album set in the future one day based on that notion of perhaps isolation or drowning, with all of the destruction and terror of an earthquake?Because this is a highly probable occurrence, an apocalyptic album is inevitable. It's hard to say at this point in time, seeing as though I'll have to let my creative energy regenerate before making another LP. But I suppose if I am riddled with anxiety, this album will shape itself and hopefully I'll have a water-logged best-seller! (Well, perhaps not a best-seller, but you get the picture.)
- Is your name a reference to astrology, because from what I can tell I'm an aquarius.The name is most definitely a reference to astrology! I fall under the zodiac sign of Leo. (Hey, I'm a sun-sign, you're a water-sign, apparently this means cool things!)It's not that I am particularly obsessed with astrology or anything like that, I have just found that the Summer months really reflect who I am. I also find that I am most productive (creatively speaking) during Summer and Winter. Speaking of which, songs have been pouring out left and right just in the past few weeks, so hopefully I'll have enough material to release another EP sometime this Summer? *hint hint*
- Is your name based on cheerleading lions perhaps?Funny you ask that, because my old high school's mascot was a Lion! I don't remember if the cheerleaders were of felid or human descent, though.
- Who is your favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?Hmm...my favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? Toughy. I would definitely have to say Michelangelo. He's laid back, cool, and over all just a really chill dude. Reminds me of California. ;)
- You used to be known as The Savage Grapefruits (Which I'm sure vegetarians appreciated) and Information Libre. Will Spirits of Leo be your final incarnation or are we months/years away from something new?As a vegetarian myself, I found the name very offensive back then. To this day, I am still at odds with myself because of it. (Dammit, 14 year-old Ryan!) Information Libre was a moniker I came up with when I was 16. I've actually been meaning to go back and re-record some of that material as Spirits of Leo. But to answer your question, I highly doubt Spirits of Leo is in any way, shape, or form the final incarnation. Just as The Savage Grapefruits was my high-school freshman project, Spirits of Leo is my college freshman music project. I might come up with a better name, a different sound, etc...so who knows? I'm already involved in several bands at the moment, all of varying genres. But Spirits of Leo will always be what I call the music of my soul. If anything, it is a time capsule which has captured nearly every element of this era in my life. I guess what I'm trying to say is, expect more from me no matter what! It might not be drenched in chorus and reverb, but it will surely bear my seal.
- ou released your first full length recently, "Anastasia", and it is up on Band Camp at a name your price download, along with your first EP which came out late last year. Would there ever be any physical versions of Spirits of Leo music? I believe that people should be able to hear music for free (sample it if you will), but then have an option to buy it if they like it. So, thus, if people could somehow buy "Anastasia" on vinyl or cassette, it would make me quite happy.It is my absolute dream to have “Anastasia” -- or any other Spirits of Leo release for that matter -- released worldwide on vinyl, CD, and cassette. Unfortunately, I don't have the means of making that happen any time soon. I am thinking of creating a kickstarter campaign for a limited release, though! If that were to happen, I'd have the tracks remastered. Ugh, all this stuff takes money. I am also debating whether or not I want to try my hand at the record label route. It seems stressful and nerve-wracking, especially combined with school, but it might be worth a shot?? My only issue with this, would be the fact that I wouldn't have the option of giving away my music for free, which is something I feel strongly about. In addition to making records, I desperately want to tour the world playing this music live. I wouldn't care if it's some tiny houseshow, a hole-in-the-wall bar, or a massive outdoor music festival; I just want to perform this stuff live!7. Final thoughts, shout outs, plugs, etc...??It's my next plan to get a live band together and perhaps start doing some makeshift tours, so if you're interested in us playing nearby, lemme know! As for shout-outs, I have quite a list. :) Check out Telecom Falls! Atmospheric post-punk/darkwave/shoegaze/etc. They just released an instrumental single, and have an EP coming on the way! If you're into post-rock influenced screamo, listen to my buddies in State Faults, who are working on a new LP. I'm in a doom/sludge metal band called LUMPS (previously "Malevolent Spells"); we're working on our debut full-length. Other bands (of differing genres) I dig: Pet Sounds, Sharky Coast, Secret Cat, TOONS, Kiddo, The New Flesh, Ascetic, Perturbator, Savage Sister, My Cat's A Stargazer, Wild Ones, No Sir, Culture Abuse, Still Ill (a hardcore punk project), The Down House, a shoegaze outfit...the list goes on and on!
Thank you for the awesome opportunity to answer all of these (entertaining) questions, for giving Spirits of Leo a chance, and for reading all of my aimless rambles.