Friday, June 7, 2013

SHOW PREVIEW: Dinosaur Jr. // Purling Hiss // 06062013 // New Haven, CT // SOLD OUT



Dinosaur Jr. // Purling Hiss
Thursday June 6th, 2013
Arch Street Tavern – New Haven, CT

                It’s kind of funny; the roads life leads us down.   I spent the first twenty-four years of my life having lived in only two different places—Meriden, Connecticut and Durham, Connecticut, both of which were split about evenly. 

                Then when I turned twenty-four I moved out to Houston, Texas.   I spent eight years there with my wife and the last almost year of it I had my son as well.   We moved back to Connecticut to be closer to family because of the baby, and now the places I’ve lived has changed in numbers rather dramatically.

                During my time spent in Texas, I live in a total of four different places (It wasn’t until our last apartment that we really felt settled), so that alone tripled my number of previous addresses from two to six.    Coming back to CT, I have so far lived in three different places.   I was kicked out of my sister-in-law’s house, spent a month in a hotel and have now settled in, of all places in the world, back in Meriden, CT.   So add another three places to where I’ve lived and that’s up to nine.

                So I spent twenty four years living in only two places and then within the last nine years I’ve had seven different addresses (Though no mail officially ever came to the hotel, but you get the point).   And before we got married, I thought it was odd my wife had lived so many different places as an army brat, yet I had only ever lived in two different places.   My how time can change things, right?

                In my ninth and most recent place to call home, I live on the second floor of a two family house.  The first floors functions as a daycare, as it has for the past thirty or so years.    On the street exists a house with the actual full number, so to add to my being on the second floor I also have a half marker on my address.  Needless to say, this is my favorite place to live so far because I’m off the street and even off the side road in the back, so most people go to the house on the road or the daycare.  As I’ve said before to people, it’s like most people don’t even know we’re back here, which makes it great because we live without solicitation.   The mail man knows where we are, but sometimes the pizza guy has trouble.

                So on the road, near the house that I don’t live in but that I live in the half of, there sits a guy quite often.  He is dressed too well to be homeless, and he may possibly even live in the condos next to us.   Why he sits on the road in front of the house in front of us is beyond me, but he tends to keep to himself and not bother anyone so no one seems to hassle him.

                This man- I shit you not- looks exactly like J Mascis.   I know a lot of people could have that hair and glasses, but I mean this guy… If he went to a Dinosaur Jr. show, he could probably get me backstage without a pass, you know what I mean?  
               
                Tonight Dinosaur Jr. is playing here in Connecticut.   They’ve been through a long and strange journey themselves.   Former bassist Lou Barlow who went on to form Sebadoh, Folk Implosion and have a successful solo career is back as the original lineup is once again together.

                In many ways, I feel like my coming full circle, living so many places and ending up back in Meriden, living so close to a J Mascis doppelganger, is a lot like Dinosaur Jr. going through their variations before coming back to their original lineup.   I do not think this is a coincidence at all.

                Before I was able to secure a ride or vehicle to get to this show, it sold out.  So if you have tickets and wheels, you are one of the few chosen and should feel thusly special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment