Friday, May 31, 2013

CASSETTE REVIEW: Tribute Hearse: EVP of RP a lo-fi tribute to Rudimentary Peni (Juniper Tree Sounds)

Tribute Hearse: EVP of RP a lo-fi tribute to Rudimentary Peni (Juniper Tree Sounds)

http://junipertreesongs.bandcamp.com/album/jts004-tribute-hearse-evp-of-rp
http://junipertreesongs.bandcamp.com/

                It should be noted that of the first seven Juniper Tree Sounds cassettes, though this is technically number four in line I actually listened to it last.  I’m not huge on compilations in the sense that while I do enjoy listening to them I do not enjoy reviewing them because I know what kind of balance to put into the review.   Do I have to name drop every band?  Should I write an equal amount about each band?  Should I write more about the bands that I like and less about those that I don’t like?  Should I just leave out the bands that I don’t like?

                So at some point- by the start of 2013 at least- I decided that I would no longer be reviewing compilations and instead only use them to find new bands.  So if I’m listening to a compilation by Label X (Which, if that isn’t a real record label name it probably will be soon) and they have Band A on it and I like the song by Band A, well, then I’ll plug their name into Band Camp and see what comes up.

                So this tape, more of a mixtape than a compilation really, features some bands that I know and some that I don’t, but it’s still good for an all around listen.  If you like one band on here or the JTS family in general, odds are you’ll like this entire cassette.  Bands like Shivering Window and Morgue Toad are on here, as well as some others I know from outside the label like Kent State, who I ended up downloading and reviewing one of their albums once and that quickly multiplied.   Doleful Lions are also on here, and they have a split with Kent State that I reviewed.   And also, Torn Humorist is on here and they have a cassette out on another label and a review of that should see the light of day eventually. 


                I’d end this with some cliché line about how this mixtape is a good way to be reunited with old friends and meet new friends like Brahms and M A T H, but I never was one for clichés. 




No comments:

Post a Comment