Wednesday, April 24, 2013

MP3 REVIEW: Dana Fowler And The “Horror Story” (everydayisamixtape)

Dana Fowler And TheHorror Story” (everydayisamixtape)
$6 for a cassette / Name Your Price Download
                Every once in a while, I will come across a band (Don’t ask me how or why, I just come across bands so many different ways I never really remember.  Okay, okay—I remember this one.  I was searching Band Camp by cassette releases and thought they looked interesting.   Back to your regularly scheduled programming)  and when I come across this band I just kind of smack myself on the head and say, “Why have I not heard of this band before?”   It hasn’t happened all that often.   I can’t even tell you the last time I remember this feeling.   But this is definitely it.
                Dana Fowler And The (Which I’m assuming is the correct way to make the name and the person formatting it into Band Camp knew what they were doing) are an electronic synth rock band that immediately brings out comparisons for me to some of my favorite bands.  Now, most of these bands (or at least styles they represent) no longer exist so I definitely have room in what is a small subgenre anyway.
                Firstly, this reminds me a lot of Stabbing Westward, whom I loved on “Whither Blister Burn + Peel”.   It’s such an amazing album that I feel too many people just wrote off for being only one hit.   Even if Stabbing Westward is still around, that album is way old, so there you go.
                Also, they have the sound of earlier Nine Inch Nails to them (Not what we’ve most recently heard from Mr. Reznor) as well as the sound of Filter when they made the album “Short Bus”.  (It was all kind of downhill from there for Filter, wasn’t it?   Yeah, not really, but it really was, right?)
                What’s most important is that these keyboard smashing sounds (The musical keyboard, not the computer one you type on) come in a way that lets you know what you’re listening to and once you hear it you won’t ever again want to compare it to another band.    The closest thing that comes to this in current music (that I know of) is Bloody Knives, though if these two bands toured together it would absolutely rule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment