Thursday, March 7, 2013

INTERVIEW: Cochlear Kill

 [1]  What do you want people to hear most when they hear your music?
1)Probably more interested in making them feel something then hear anything specific. The way melodies marry with certain words, the way the dissonance of a major 7th or suspended chord resolves to the major(or doesn't resolve If I'm feeling angsty), the way driving rhythms make you wanna move - whatever evokes feelings of melancholy, euphoria, invigoration, nostalgia or mellowness - which is the way the music I love moves me.
[2] Having music on Band Camp, along with other such platforms in music right now such as Sound Cloud, Spotify and others, do you feel that music is moving into a virtual age?  Personally, I fully support the idea of downloading songs for free from Band Camp and then if I like them buying them on vinyl.
2) I love Band Camp. Sound Cloud is useful. Spotify seems to be more "suits" ripping off artists again. I Suppose I'm still adjusting. I'm showing my age but I used to tape songs off radio on cassette. I remember being in the car and hearing Tool for the first time but didnt catch the song or artist title. I had to hang by the radio waiting for it again - third time i got - then over the next week i taped 2 more songs.
It took me months to find a record store that stocked the Cd.
This was before internet was everywhere so I knew nothing about the band other then I loved the music.
Music was currency - You'd part with $30 for a CD and read the credits. Now you cant even give a CD away.                                                                                     
It seems music's become an accessory to lifestyle and an entitlement. Which is kinda sad. But on the flip-side i can produce my own recordings at home of comparable quality to indie labels and sell them direct to punters who like my kinda music. Thats pretty cool.  
I love vinyl and still buy it. It tends to be pre digital age music though as recording and mixing to tape was a big part of the sound. Throwing a "Loudness War" era digital recording onto a vinyl as after thought to digital releases doesn't really work to my ear. 


[3] How important of a factor do you feel that record labels play in music these days when pretty much anyone can put their music on the internet as opposed to having to hand out demo tapes at shows, the distribution record labels can offer, etc.   It just seems like it’s a bit easier these days to succeed as a band- and even build up a strong fan base- before a label possibly comes calling for you.

3) It varies between the labels and what motivates them (there shareholders or a genuine love of music) but labels still potentially separate a lot of the dross from the worthwhile. A quick look through my itunes and the vast majority of the music is put out by some sort of label indie or major. It doesn't seem like labels groom bands like they used to. Notice how some famous bands of the past unleashed a few mediocre albums before really hitting their stride?
[4] If you could tour with any single band or musician who would you pick and why?
4) It might be intimidating but Swans are pretty awe inspiring, Ministry also seem like alot of fun - I suppose genuine people with a sense of humour. Dream tour would be with Dylan Moran or Dave Chapelle - we could come on and play the exit music as the audience cleared out and the cleaners swept the aisles
[5] Who is your favorite New Kid on the Block?
5) I dunno if they're still the new kid on the block - but I discovered Yuck last year and a year latter It's sinking in how strong they're debut album is. Way above the average.
[6] Who would win in a musical fight: Jack Black or Jack White?
6) I don't really care for either - but I know Jack White can really play so I s'pose I'd put my money on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment