Thursday, March 7, 2013

CD REVIEW: Lexie Roth “Stay or Go”

Lexie RothStay or Go
                When I first began listening to “Stay or Go”, I found myself feeling like this was the sort of album a woman like Courtney Love could make at her best (Or some sort of better version of her) or just something Debbie Harry influenced in a lot of ways.   But the more times I listened to this album the more I realized that as it goes on the style can tend to change.
                As the album goes on, there are a few songs that can get darker near the track “Windfield”, but then as it goes from there it turns into something else completely.   The first element I begin to hear is Sheryl Crow, whom I don’t like, but it’s not so overwhelmingly like her that I can’t listen to it.   However, the last song takes us into a little country ditty that I try to avoid whenever possible.
                Lyrically, Lexie Roth sings about all of the normal things any person would sing about in life, however she does have one song that likes to describe how when she is being beaten by someone she knows it’s love.   There is probably another layer to this song that I can’t see (I hope) because I’ve never been a victim of physical abuse, but if there isn’t this song is going to set back domestic violence a good couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment