Monday, February 25, 2013

INTERVIEW: The Widest Smiling Faces

1)      What do you want people to hear most when they hear your music?
I think everyone hears different things when they listen to any piece of music. I certainly have my own particular ways of listening. At the most basic level I just hope others enjoy the music, obviously different people will take different things from sound. As a composer, at the most fundamental level I try to be as honest as possible. Sharing music with a listener is in some ways akin to a handshake. I'm essentially offering my self to the listener.
2)      Having music on Band Camp, along with other such platforms in music right now such as Sound Cloud, Spotify and others, do you feel that music is moving into a virtual age?  Personally, I fully support the idea of downloading songs for free from Band Camp and then if I like them buying them on vinyl.
I think your use of the term "virtual age" is very interesting. It's not an uncommon sentiment, that as we progress with technology we're losing the "soul" of the music. Many people often refer to digital music as a mere image of the music, rather than being the pure, original sound itself. I wouldn't say I agree with this, but there does seem to be a sense that every generation moves us further away from authenticity. Vinyl does contain a "weight" to it, it has it's own feeling, which it imparts onto the music. The same with cassette tapes. Perhaps in the future, if CDs completely fall off the map, they'll be viewed as having their own "weight" and "feeling." As of now, at least for me personally, CDs just feel unnecessary. It seems illogical to ask people to pay for digital copies of an album, knowing they could easily download it for free. Essentially asking a listener to pay you for digital music is asking them to do you a favor, fair enough I guess, but my feeling is that, considering they can get the music free any time they'd like, the digital version may as well remain free. If I'm going to sell a copy, it should provide a unique experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment