Monday, July 9, 2012

SBSR: The Illegal Wiretaps “In Memoriam of A. Takopoulos”

The Illegal WiretapsIn Memoriam of A. Takopoulos
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
<1> “Artichokes, Cabbage, Orange Juice and Breadsticks” - This immediately sounds like it’s going to be instrumental and probably dancey.   Let’s see if it plays out as I suspect.    Okay, I just put in the song title.  Is this a song or a shopping list?  Hi-yo!!   We seem to be doing good with our electronica rock show supported by the bass drum, which sometimes goes unce unce. 
<2> “In Memoriam of A. Takopoulos” – We open with a bong- no, a gong- no, church organs.   Is this going to be sad?  At my funeral, I want everyone to get up and DANCE.    Okay, we’re getting some beats going where it’s like some sort of sinister church hymn.    This could also be the theme song to an Atari 2600 game where you’re a priest and you have to vanquish heathens with holy water.  Man, I so would have played that game as a kid and not just because I went to Catholic school and my parents also sent me to church.  I can hear the little 8 bit catchphrase now: “The power of Christ compels you!” and then the heathen burns and lets out a Wilhelm Scream.   Yes!  Someone make it please.
<3> “The Kid Doesn’t Have Anything to Eat!” – A bit more trance right away.   This is definitely a pretty trippy song.   I feel stuck in a loop while on acid and it’s kind of scary when I look at certain Windows Media Player skins.  
                These three songs are a great accompaniment to “American Family Radio Volume 1”, as they are instrumental and seem to pick up where that album left off.   If not for “American Family Radio Volume 1” already being so long, I’d argue that these three tracks should just be included as a part of that, but I think I just made my own case.    So my RDL is not to say that these songs are not perfect, but rather that they are best enjoyed when you also have AFR1.   Get it?   Go get them both then tell me I’m not right.
Recommended Downloading Level:  4.5/5

(And as I link this, I see a fourth song has been added, so this review shall be updated soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment