Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp. This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP. This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs. At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs. It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus. Enjoy.
Say Girl Say 5 songs combined into one review
1) “Coca Cola Kisses” [3:32] – Female vocals accompanied by either an acoustic guitar or even more likely a ukulele. One girl sings the main part, another sings backup. It has that soulful sound of Norah Jones but could also be Feist, strictly in terms of vocals. And yes this song does have lyrics about “Take a sip, give a kiss”, which I guess is a sign that her significant other enjoys Coke over Pepsi.
2) “Go With the Rhythm” [2:55] – This song is clapping and the same female vocals. It still has a certain Feist element to the vocals, but overall this song sounds a lot more like Florence + The Machine to me.
3) “Hallelujah” [4:17] – Don Ho is really coming out in the music here, but the rest is pretty much what we heard on the first song.
4) “Naked” [4:52] – More of the same.
5) “What’s That Sound?” – [3:19]
I had to download these songs one by one, but I decided to put them all together for one review. The music of Say Girl Say is somewhere between Delta Dart and Feist. It’s not that bad, in all actuality, and being that it has very strong vocals with minimal instruments I’d say it does a very good job at accomplishing a genuine sound that most musicians struggle to find using an entire orchestra.
Recommended Downloading Level: 4/5