Tuesday, May 8, 2012

SBSR: Kimberly Nichole “The Rock Ballerina”


Kimberly Nichole “The Rock Ballerina”
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
<1> “Seven Nation Army” [3:47] – Obviously these are female vocals, heavy on the bass line and somewhat of the guitar and drums mixed in.   This is also a cover of a song by The White Stripes.   Remember when Joss Stone covered “Fell in Love with a Girl”?   Yeah, it’s kind of like that.
<2> “Lithium” [4:10] – Here we have a cover of the popular Nirvana song, which is pretty much the same in terms of musical content, but we have somewhat clean female vocals coming through as opposed to the scratchy singing of Kurt Cobain.    It’s different than the original, sure, but not quite different enough for me to really see it as being a tribute in ways versus just a second rate version of the original.
<3> “What’s Up?” [4:18] – This song is really quiet (in terms of how it was recorded, not in terms of the overall feel).   I mean, I had to turn this up pretty loud to even be able to hear it, which always annoys me.   Fix your levels please and thanks.   Anyway, being female vocals this isn’t too different from the 4 Non Blondes version except we have an electric guitar here at times when the original would have had an acoustic.    4 Non Blondes were so underrated as a band.
                Well, these aren’t really anything new but three somewhat fun to listen to covers.    There isn’t really anything drastically different about these covers that makes you go, “Wow, look at the way she did that”, as they seem to just be more straight up covers than anything else.  I still prefer the originals on all three songs.   Maybe she should start covering songs by bands I don’t like even though I happen to like their songs, if that makes sense.    For example, I would absolutely love to hear some U2 songs sung by almost anyone other than Bono.   But I digress because that really has nothing to do with this.
Recommended Downloading Level:  2/5


No comments:

Post a Comment