Thursday, May 14, 2015

Record Review: lame drivers "Flexi-Book EP"


[$20 // Edition of 300 // https://lamedrivers.bandcamp.com/album/flexi-book-ep]

Without telling you how many times I've listened to this record (or series of records) just know that I've listened to it more than most records I review simply because I wanted to make sure that I wrote about the music.   In all of my time of listening to music (since birth?) and with the recent vinyl comeback, I do not believe I've ever seen anything quite like this before.   I once got a post card that played as a record (a few songs), but never have I see a book constructed like this before.

To think of the possibilities with artists who want their songs to feel visual and being able to attach an image to each song... It's just mindblowing as a concept.    If anyone has done this before now and lame drivers are not the first, fine, but the fact that I don't see more books like this boggles my mind.   I'm not always on the pulse of the vinyl community, but clearly I know enough to say I haven't seen something like this before with confidence.

And there is where I want to end the story of the art.   You can look at the pictures yourself.   You can hold it in your hands one day because you should buy this.  Not only is it that sort of unique piece to add to your collection in a physical sense, but to think this comes with just some truly amazing songs.    How lucky are you that you can find something like this and think about how you must have it before even hearing the music, but then I'm also telling you this rock n roll just shreds?

There is a garage sense to these songs, which of course brings out rock n roll on the whole.   It's punk, but with a throwback vibe and as most people know me for reviewing mostly cassettes I can tell you that this would also sound just as excellent on cassette.   (Though I do also feel this is the type of music vinyl has returned to compliment)  It's got a little bit of fuzz at times.   There are guitar solos and just plain killer riffs.   It's the non-synth style of rock from the 1980's/early 1990's with a slightly modern feel.

Right away I can hear some Coyote Shivers come out and that of course makes me think of this as being a good fit for the "Empire Records" soundtrack.   The Mr. T Experience, Superdrag, The Clash, Cheap Trick, Replacements, Ramones, The Living End, Sex Pistols and Stray Cats have this influenced in a way which leaves it R-O-C-K'ing in the U-S-A.

In our house, listening to records is a big deal because we have a three year old and many cats so it isn't quite the same as putting on a compact disc via the laptop or a cassette on the more stable-feeling cassette deck.    One of the times we were listening to this, the song "Indian Burn" came on and my son (Three years old, mind you) tells me "Daddy, I love this song".    The fact that my three year old, who in his short lifetime has probably heard more music than you (Yes, he listens to everything I review with me), gets this just shows you how damn good it is.

On that line between punk, garage and rock n roll (which can't really be a line because it's too many things to be on the sides of exactly) is where you will find the melodies of lame drivers.    One of my new all-time favorite pieces of music and not just for the physical packaging, though that does play a part in it.   If I was a teacher and I gave out grades as such, I'd give this an A+ for the music and an A+ for the package.   It's just that all around good.















1 comment:

  1. I concur with every word and simply cannot get enough of this one (though admittedly I hit play on the AIFF files more often than wrestling with the flexis). I'm amazed and grateful I'm not sick of these songs yet, as the wait goes on for the debut LP...

    ReplyDelete