Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cassette Review: Rotkappchen "La Maghrébine" (Ikebukuro Dada)


[€6 // Edition of 20 // http://ikebukurodada.bandcamp.com/album/la-maghr-bine]

This is one of two cassettes sent to me by Rotkappchen and when I looked it up in Bandcamp again I saw that the Ikebukuro Dada label has also released cassettes for Nundata and Raven so I kind of felt like I would be in good hands going into it.

What begins with scratchy static and the sounds of car-starting noise (Though in a vague way and not literally, as I believe I have heard that in the literal before) turns into heavy lightsabers mixed with lasers and just that one "Tom Sawyer" note from Rush.    Perhaps more than anything else, these first parts of this cassette are crackling and at times it can also have that Transformers sound that I've come to know and love.

Side B tells a different story with harsh static and a lot of sharp feedback.   This really has those sharp notes on display as they make up a lot of this side.    It's what I like to think of on some levels as being like a dog whistle (even though those are typically not heard by human ears) because when you have that certain sharp feedback sound that could be in something more mainstream like say Nirvana's "In Utero" it's one thing but this just takes it to a different level where it's almost trying to weed out those who don't take the listening as seriously as they should.

As my introduction to Rotkappchen I must say that this is rather good.   I stated earlier that this is on a label with Nundata and Raven and as such I wouldn't at all mind tracking down and listening to everything I can by this artist, much like I've been doing with Nundata and Raven.    Yes, I like to think of Nundata and Raven (as well as others I won't get into naming the list for here) as sort of "career artists" as I like to follow their entire career in music and not just a single release or two.    I can definitely see Rotkappchen becoming another career artist for me to follow as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment