Friday, December 5, 2014

MP3 Review: Atomizador "Pop Marginal" (Sonido Muchacho)


[€5  for 7" // Name Your Price Download // https://sonidomuchacho.bandcamp.com/album/sm-015-pop-marginal]

One of the questions not only asked most often of me but of society on the whole and one of my least favorite is simply: "What kind of music do you like?"   People always want to know what kind of music you listen to or write about because then they want to use that information to look into it themselves.    It would be really easy to say "I listen to punk" and then have someone go download all the music they can tagged "punk", but life is never that one dimensional.

The music of Atomizador is primarily an acoustic guitar sound.   There are some vocals, but only in the way of harmony and not actually singing words.   I am also informed via the Bandcamp site that there is also a ukelele, which makes sense but I could just as easily mistake for the guitars.      These are just beautifully formed acoustic guitar notes played in patterns that make them exceptional if not for the talent than certainly for my lack of never hearing anything quite like this before.

As this was sent to me from a label located in Spain (and the artist is from there as well) there is that sort of slight sound coming out in the songs that make you think of any Spanish guitar player such as found in the movie "Desperado" and that isn't at all bad because you have to expect that and so it is good to hear it in there.    But there is also this feeling for whatever reason to me that these songs could be the soundtrack to a Wes Anderson film, which is a somewhat different vibe entirely.

The answer to the question I posed at the beginning of this review- what I tell people when they ask me what kind of music I write about or like- I tell them that I like good music.    Sure, it might be a lot more vague than picking a genre but such a question really has no answer, right?   In any case, this music is rather good and I like it.     Thankfully I do not have to add it in to my list of genre-less artists that I like to try and seem cool to others by defining my musical tastes by a music scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment