Monday, December 1, 2014

Cassette Review: FOG FATHER "Razzle-Dazzle EP"


[$5 // Edition of 75 // https://fogfather.bandcamp.com/album/razzle-dazzle-ep]

Listening to this FOG FATHER cassette has mixed emotions for me because on one hand the sort of pop punk or pop rock sound of the songs makes me think of a number of different bands that I enjoy and have enjoyed over the years, but the problem is that most of these bands are probably not so easy to reference because it might seem as if I'm making them up.

Well, Schatzi should be a band you might know and if not then you can probably look them up, but after that it gets tricky.   Names like Sig Transit Gloria and The Beans come to mind, but really, how many bands have there been called The Beans?  (It was the version that sang "Last year on Christmas eve, you were so hard to please" in a song about how many holidays he had wasted on you)   i can also hear pieces of Ridel High, which is maybe even more obscure.

So even though this might not be the closest I can come to a comparison it is the best sort of generalization I can make so that you can say, "Oh yeah, I've heard of them".   These songs kind of sound like The Beach Boys (but in a good way) with synth lasers.    They have an upbeat rock quality to them mixed with some pop, but as the EP goes on you'll hear dreamy bits, church bells on their own and just some 1980's/bubbly/synth type music.

I don't know why, but this also reminds me a lot of a Christmas album.   I generally don't listen to Christmas music because I've always felt that good music should be listened to year round and not just two months out of the year (Four months if you work retail) but this has some sort of vibe like that which I am okay with because you can and should listen to this any time and all the time.







No comments:

Post a Comment