Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Cassette Review: Bob Bucko Jr. "The World Is Big, The Road Is Long" (Personal Archives)


[$5 // Edition of 40 // https://personalarchives.bandcamp.com/album/the-world-is-big-the-road-is-long]

As I've listened to the music of Bob Bucko Jr. (I refuse to keep count of the number of times he has been reviewed here) I can only come to the conclusion that when you press play on anything he has crafted you cannot really expect anything to come out of the speakers.    However, if it was so easy as to expect every album to be noise or singer/songwriter or bedroom or whatever other genre then I think it would take away from the overall feeling of the music on the whole.   It's that surprise- that mystery- that keeps me coming back for more because of having an impulse of "more of the same" I just sit back in awe and wonder.

This particular cassette begins with guitar notes that are played in an electric progression so as to sound like FNL.   I'm not really certain as to whether or not I've heard BBJr. bring out the FNL or not before but off the top of my head (because I rarely look anything up from my past reviews) I'd have to say this is my first time hearing this influence.     There is some ringing and buzzing but not in the feedback sense and overall it just has this uplifting sort of feel to the notes that I can't quite explain.

Often times when my almost three year old son is on Garage Band he'll just mash a bunch of notes together on the electric guitar and I've used that as a comparison for other artists before but I feel like with this particular piece it is a slower version of that where the notes are more carefully plucked.     I would also not be able to forgive myself if I didn't include my thought that the note progression reminds me of early Metallica songs but that is in the slightest of ways.  (Everyone can play that part from "One" on a guitar, right?)

Side B opens up with some singing and it's not quite ohm chanting but it's also not really words as far as I can tell.   This has guitars accompanying it and it plays through nicely.   When it quiets down I can only hear these notes dropping that sound like they could be a bass guitar but if it's just the effects or tuning of a normal guitar I could also understand that.    (It's kind of like how there are the bass notes in between clips on "Seinfeld" only not really at all)   By the end the singing from the beginning of the side returns and we have seemingly come full circle.

As far as Bob Bucko Jr. is concerned, I'm really not going to compare his music by saying this is one of his best works or something to that extent because I've just been finding his music to be quality all around.   I will state undoubtedly though that as far as music goes in general this is one of the best cassettes you could experience ever.





No comments:

Post a Comment