Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Cassette Review: BLACK MICA "2 song cassette"


[$3 // https://blackmica.bandcamp.com/album/2-song-cassette]

As this BLACK MICA cassette is two songs (which the title states) it isn't so much a demo as it is a cassingle and, well, you know how I feel about cassingles and rightfully so because anyone willing to put two songs onto a cassette as a sort of sampling of their music is good in my book.    I mean, spending three dollars on this is worth it even if you end up not liking it for some reason because then at least you don't feel like you paid a lot and had to suffer through an endless number of songs.

Luckily for you, my dear reader and perspective listener, BLACK MICA is dreamy.    The song is straight out of the 1980's, when cassettes and cassingles ruled the world, and the first song on here could easily have been lifted from the "Pretty in Pink" soundtrack.   The fact that it is instrumental just furthers my belief that it could have been in the movie without my knowing.

On the flip side, the second song comes out a bit more synthwave but still fits that 1980's vibe.    In some ways it reminds me slightly of a detective movie such as "Beverly Hills Cop", but even more so perhaps than that it can go back to a sort of 1980's or 1990's television series based in a hospital.   Why do I go to the hospital?  I don't know.  I never have a specific show in mind (Doogie Howser, ER, General Hospital, etc. all don't have the sound) but it's just a feeling I get, you feel me?

This really reminds me of a cassingle I would have bought as a youth and as such I certainly like it that much more.   The songs are solid though, so no matter how you hear them YOU MUST HEAR THEM.   It just so happens that they are available on cassette and as such should be experienced in that manner.







No comments:

Post a Comment