Monday, August 11, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Static/Voice/Static “May I Always Love You?” (Captain Crook Records)


                The interesting factor that I take from this cassette is that the title is not a promise or desire, but more of a request.    That subtle difference gives this a whole new meaning and somehow manages to also push it away from being, say, a Bryan Adams song.

                This is quite possibly the first time I am hearing Static/Voice/Static when there is not only static but also a voice.    Don’t quote me on that because there are some in between releases I missed and had to download, but I am pretty certain this is the first Static/Voice/Static release to have some sort of vocals.   Maybe I wrote that last time too though.

                This begins with static whirrs and within them we can find haunting, distant vocals.   It can become church-like in the nature of the sound, with certain harmonies, but then it also can take on the drone we all know and love from Static/Voice/Static as well. 

                Most of what happens on this cassette, to me, goes back to the title though.  While it seems like such an innocent question and you’d simply answer “Yes, you can”, the fact is this takes on somewhat of a creepier vibe for me.   It feels like the work of a stalker (No offense to those responsible for creating it, more of a compliment on the creation) in the sense of an “If I can’t have you no one will” feel.

                Granted, I don’t see this music as being too much a reflection of real life so much as a work of art, so one might not be so inclined to check the artist’s basement as much as heed this as a warning to stay off of Craigslist. 





No comments:

Post a Comment