Monday, August 11, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Sacro e Profano “I”


                The interesting thing about this cassette by Sacro e Profano is that it is just one, long drone piece of static.   It’s what I’ve described before as being windy, such as a tunnel, or perhaps just the field recording on a windy day somehow.   It’s static, but it’s also the sound of descent when you jump out of a plane.    It is many different things in that physical sense.   It could be the sound of a radio or television that is on a channel that doesn’t exist.    On the other extreme side of things, it could come from within a tornado.

                Something people may not know about me is that I do try to tamper with music a little bit, and the idea of this whole noise and ambient thing (especially drone) has really made me think more often than not, “Hey, I could do that”.   And so I spend time trying to copy what I hear from these artists.   One time I actually heard something ambient that had some strings and minimal synth and I thought “If I use this and this I can do the exact same thing”, which I then tried and the results were… let’s say horrible at best.

                What I’m trying to get at here is that while this might sound like something so simple to do, just holding down a single button for the duration or what have you, this is not something that could be as easily replicated as one might think.   Granted, the winds seem to only change ever so slightly and not very often, but you have to respect the talents going into this and if you happen to find it to be so easy to do, then I dare you to try it yourself. 






No comments:

Post a Comment