Friday, July 25, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Nundata / Social Drift "Spiritus Venenatus" (Centipede Farm)



            This is my second time listening to Nundata and this cassette (Which is sold out, so I’m listening to the MP3s obviously [EDIT: This is available as a cassette still.]) is a split with Social Drift so in that sense it has introduced me to that artist and just further proved my theory that music is the biggest gateway drug that there is.

            Nundata begins with some harsh static, which can come across like a windstorm, before some lasers come out and start frying up the place.    There is squealing and this whole side is just sort of wild.   I remember hearing Nundata before this, but it seems like I’m going to have to add that name to the list I have of names that have yet to disappoint me musically.

            Social Drift kicks off some harsh glitch noise that is electro, yet there is a fair amount of static still.   It’s somewhere between Morse code and the Flight of the Bumblebee.   Then it switches into a distorted guitar chord before hissing with a slight high pitched audio tone.   It’s drone and it’s wavy.    Those cool, dark  Nine Inch Nails guitar riffs come out, you know, the kind that make you think something loud and powerful is coming out next.  

            So once again, I begin listening to a split with one artist I know and end up enjoying both of them, giving me more reason to like Nundata and now another fan for Social Drift.   Thanks, split tapes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment