Thursday, June 5, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Zach Phillips “I Can’t Predict My Past Actions” (OSR Tapes)


            The title of this cassette confuses me, but once you get over that you can begin just listening to and enjoying the music found here within.   The cassette begins with drum machine beats and it has the overall sound of lo-fi pop.   The drums then become fairly busy, almost random and some keys get mixed in.

            Before Side A ends, we get somewhat 8bit in here, as I can kind of hear Mario Mario crossing over with Atari sounds and I’m very curious as to whether or not someone has developed Super Mario Bros. as an Atari 2600 game or not (That would be sweet).   It gets a little funky and a little bit like Ted Leo before the side ends.

            On the flip side, there are more piano keys coming out and even some instrumental beeps, but the vocals do still come out as they did in Side A.   What I find about this side to be so appealing- which just makes me appreciate this entire cassette as well- is that he can sing a line and sound like Mel Torme whilst doing so (Look him up, kids), yet he’s telling me to go ahead and cry.  

            I know what satire means, but is there a word for something that has a generally upbeat sound to it, yet the lyrics are somewhat depressing?   Yes, I have heard this done before, as I know Stupid Bummed does it nicely, but there should be a name for this, right?   I’m not joking, someone email me and give me an answer to this please.

            If you are like me though and don’t know the answer to that last question, just listen to this cassette and find comfort in the fact that you can at least act like you’re having a good time even though you’re dead inside.  







No comments:

Post a Comment