Thursday, June 5, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Ill Clinton “Mediums” (Em La La Terra)


            I initially began listening to this as a download, but then liked it so much I just ended up buying the cassette and am now reviewing it as such.   Also because I might become a discography completist with Ill Clinton, but only time will tell on that one.

            What is a medium and why are there more than one of them as the title here?  Well, mediums can be a means of which to transfer things.   In that respect, a cassette is a medium by which we listen to music.  

            On the other hand, one of the more likely thoughts to come to mind for most people is that a medium can be like a psychic, such as that show with Patricia Arquette.  I do feel like those type of mediums and gypsies are somewhat connected, if only because I carry some Tarot cards and healing crystals in my backpack.

            For one word, “medium” sure has a lot of meanings and another I can think of is the size that falls between small and large.   In that sense, you could see this cassette as being a sort of middle of the road release of music, but that couldn’t be farther from the truth.  There is nothing medium about this music in the sense that it is large and in charge.

            These beats that are on loops mixed with singing samples, pianos of some kind and just an overall funky vibe that brings out the hip hop vibe of that one Primitive Radio Gods song are best experienced on cassette but mostly, for me, the title seems to reflect the psychic definition of the word as it is closer to being other worldly over anything else. 

            Perhaps this is not of this world, but rather a glimpse into what the future holds for music and I am fine with that because even my two year old son agrees this is solid future for music.







No comments:

Post a Comment