Tuesday, March 4, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Makeup and Vanity Set “Charles Park Trilogy” (Telefuture Now) [Part 1/3]


                I glanced over my review of a previous Makeup and Vanity Set album, but that was only after listening to this, so I find my whole “haunting ambient” thing to not be as true now.  

                First and foremost, this is a trilogy and as such there are 30 songs.  If you were one of the lucky ones to get this on CD (it sold out) then you were treated to three different discs.   Thus, as seems to be my lot in life as of late, I am going to review this in three parts, based on ten songs per part which is how I assume the CDs would play out.

                This is a lot of beats with synth.  It’s new wave, but also 8bit at times.   The songs remind me of either an old video game soundtrack or Flock of Seagulls, something along those lines.  In my prior review I remember writing I didn’t know why I heard “Knight Rider” in one of the songs, but in this I can definitely hear Miami Vice now.

                A song like “Escape Route” definitely channels some sort of vintage video game, but then I also begin to feel this sort of television theme song vibe ala “Doogie Howser”, you know, back when television shows had theme songs or at least better ones than they do now.

                The first set of ten songs ends with a very loud sort of synth and drumbeats, which can recall synth pop, so it’s definitely versatile throughout the first installment, yet obviously sticking to its synth and beats roots, which is just a whole heck of a lot of fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment