Monday, March 31, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: L.C.B. / Thysanura “Un’altra donna trovata nuda nei campi di mais” (Hypnopompic State)



            This is a split tape, so I’ll give you two paragraphs as per usual, one for each side.  You know the drill, right?

            Side A is represented by L.C.B. and it begins like a sort of balloon static, as if someone is rubbing on a balloon in various ways to create sounds.   Yes, I saw Finn the Human do it musically on “Adventure Time”, but it doesn’t make it any less true sounding.   It quickly gains momentum though as I feel like we’re powering up in a video game and then it goes full out 8bit.   There are industrial type sounds that make me think of machines either having sex or fighting, and then there are some pretty nice static waves coming out as well.   It sounds a lot like what I’ve been listening to a lot lately, so I really do like it because it has that resemblance to Spaced Invaders and other musical projects that I like.

            Side B is for Thysanura and while the piano type synth starts us off, this has elements of video games to it, but it is not really 8bit.  That is to say that this could be the soundtrack to an Atari 2600 game, sure, but the sounds just don’t appear to be made with a converted Gameboy.   There are also some hints of doom in here and I always enjoy that in my video gaming because it feels like those “dun dun dun” sounds when your character dies.

            Overall, this is four songs per side of kind of 8bit/video game music that sounds similar to everything I like yet it doesn’t really fit into a specific group or genre and that means there is even more room for it here with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment