Saturday, February 8, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Leyla McCalla "Vari-Colored Songs: A Tribute to Langston Hughes" (Fat Possum)


            Not too long ago, I was in New Haven with my dad, wife and son and we went to a pizza place for lunch.  When we walked in, they had a poster up for Leyla McCalla and I pointed it out to my dad, showing him that it was pretty close to our last name and may or may not be pronounced similarly.

            I took a picture of the poster, intending to look her up and see what she was all about, somewhat thinking that she was a local musician as well.  And then I see that she has released an album on Fat Possum and realize that I should have heard of her before, but hey, this was a nice reminder to listen to her music.

            McCalla combines the history of the blues with classical rock n roll to tell stories in songs that are unlike anything else you’ve ever heard.  As if this experience itself could not be unique enough based upon the content of the songs, she finds herself singing one of these songs in French.  

            Wow.  Well played, possible cousin.  Well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment