Saturday, February 22, 2014

SPOTIFY REVIEW: Cynic "Kindly Bent to Free Us" (Season of Mist)

             Music has many levels, and to prove that I present to you this album by Cynic, which is kind of an appropriate name because I did go into this album expecting the worst for some reason and I am not entirely certain why.

            On one hand, this could be post metal or post hardcore and I could see some semblances of why people might like it.   It is a lighter version of Tool in many ways, as well as bringing out the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and while neither of these qualities are ones I look for in a new band to add to my friends list, perhaps you do.

            There is also something else lighter in here that I struggled to place, but realized after the fact that is indeed the sounds of the band Lit.   This also has strong hints of when Limp Bizkit covered Pink Floyd, which is arguably not the worst thing Fred Durst has done.

            So this is why music is layered, why it has levels:  Someone reading this could think “Hey, that sounds cool to me, I’ll give it a try”, yet it just does not work for me on any of those levels.  


No comments:

Post a Comment