Wednesday, February 12, 2014

MP3 REVIEW: Helms Alee “Sleepwalking Sailors” (Sergeant House)

                My first big impression of Helms Alee was that they sounded like Filter.   And not the good “Short Bus” era Filter either.  No, they sound like the crap that came after that.   Then this indie rock with a hint of distorted math just somehow seems to go downhill from there.

                There are heavier, screamy bits that make me miss Silent Drive and Trial By Fire and then somehow Foo Fighters come out as well.  

                Oh, and did I mention that on one song there are female vocals accompanying the male vocals?   It’s like the indie hardcore version of when those two bands on Wind-Up got together for a song.  I don’t remember their names, but they were all like “Wake me up inside” or something.

                Granted, the female vocals do come back as the album goes on, and in some ways this isn’t really bad as much as it just seems to be ruining a lot of my favorite bands by drawing from their worst possible qualities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment