Wednesday, February 5, 2014

CASSETTE REVIEW: Zaimph “Live” (Static Reason Recordings)


                When it comes to music, no one really does the noise genre like Static Reason and what’s more so is that apparently Zaimph is a pretty high standard band in that realm as well.  In actuality, I’ve never seen a noise band perform live, but I would certainly like to (Yeah, yeah, I live in Connecticut, so one day I’ll have to venture to MA or NY to do so)

                This live set is actually divided into two different performances, which is seemingly perfect because it doesn’t affect the flow of things.  Had this been the same set and split into half on each side, it might have made the tape seem more disjointed, but this fully allows you to become submersed in both pieces.

                I often wonder why, in the past, more people didn’t fashion their live cassettes like this, but then again I can’t think of too many cassettes I have of live performances (that weren’t homemade) aside from a TSOL tape I picked up a few years ago.

                The sound itself that Zaimph emits reminds me in many ways of whales and sonar.  It’s soothing, calm and relaxing; in the way that you would imagine an ocean would be on a perfect day.  I would certainly recommend it for meditation or just some deep thinking.  

                It certainly isn’t new age or what I think of when I think of “new age” (Or the music people suggest listening to when meditating) and for that it also sounds a lot better than perhaps what my words can convey.   Additionally, the recording of it is flawless, as you can’t really even tell it is live.






No comments:

Post a Comment