Tuesday, July 2, 2013

SBSR: Drinking Flowers "Sanity Restored 1972"

$6 to Download / Free to Stream

<1> “Sanity Restored 1972” – This song starts all fuzzy, like L7.  Then it comes in with a cross between a psychedelic and classic rock guitar riff.   Here come the vocals and now I can hear a cross between Supergrass and Smoking Popes in this, but really mostly Supergrass.  There are some hints of the band Dandelion and if this was instrumental I would still probably like it.  This probably also has the sound of some forgotten classic rock band.  I should ask my dad, he went to Woodstock.  Is it too late to throw out a comparison to Kyuss?

<2> “Hide it…” – Here comes the feedback like Hendrix, man.  And then the drums kick in like The Who.  Wow, am I having an acid flashback?  Now it’s getting a bit faster and I’m thinking “Incesticide” era Nirvana or Mudhoney.  And here come the vocals.  This is so good I just cannot do it justice with words.  This is definitely one of my new favorite bands and it’s still going!  Well, this has the drone tag on it and that’s kind of accurate in ways.   Might I also point out The Velvet Underground in this song?  Originally I was going to write a standard review for this, but when too much was coming out I opted for the SBSR.

<3> “Bite the Hand that Needs You” – A variation of the Nine Inch Nails title or general idea of biting the hand that feeds you.   The vocals seem a bit higher in this song, and it reminds me a bit of High Pop as well, which is where I seem to point all music like this back to even though it probably goes somewhere else.  The chorus kicks in like a trippy STP song, so I can dig that for sure.  I picture this band as having long hair, denim jackets and glasses.  Don’t ask me why, and no, I’m too lazy to google what they look like.   I must also, at this point in time, name Flaming Lips by name, though it seems rather pointless at this, uh, point. 

<4> “Vibrating Violence”- Let us also now bring out the comparisons to Pavement, Guided by Voices and every other band along those lines.   Forever and ever amen.  This is kind of starting like a Blur song actually.  Now it’s kicking into some pure psychedelic noise.  This could almost, in some ways, be The Thermals, but it makes them seem so clean cut.   I’m also going to have to throw in comparisons to some of those radio alternative rock songs like “Sink To The Bottom” by Fountains of Wayne, the Toadies and Eve 6.   There is probably also an entire genre of bands that want to be Flaming Lips that I could put in here as references, but I don’t listen to most of them. 

<5> “Sink” – This is starting a lot faster and is almost instantly my favorite track on this album.  This is just one of those faster paced, heavier songs with distortion that always seem to stand out with bands like Local H for instance.  This could be Drinking Flowers’ “I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did”.  Except instead of moshing, you can pogo to it.  It also has this blend of Nirvana’s “Negative Creep” with Reacharound’s “Big and Mean”.

<6> “Animals” – This song was not recorded with all of the others.  Whoa, what just happened?  Everything is coming at me at once.  It’s trippy, but it also feels like I might have a seizure.  And now I can also hear the surf rock in this song.  Dig that crazy guitar solo.  And nearly as quickly as it caught me off guard when it started, so it ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment