Monday, June 17, 2013

SBSR: Michelle Blades "Zoroaster & Two Devils" (Midnight Special Records)

5 EUR to Download / 7 EUR for Compac DIsc / Free to Stream

<1> “Water As A Weapon / I Was Born In A Laboratory” – And we begin with some singing that then becomes a bit faster.  And then the music kicks into indie pop.   There is nothing to compare this to, my friends.  And now it’s getting all crazy.  Here comes the heavy distortion.  I need to type a mile a minute to keep up with this.  So much is happening and it’s all so new to me.  The female vocals have finally slowed down, but now they’re definitely hypnotic.  Obligatory Alanis comparison.  This music is just shredding though.  Sleigh Bells crossed with Be Your Own Pet.  And the female vocals just come out so well.   She has a set of pipes on her for sure.  It could be Norah Jones if she was more indie rock.  Maybe Lily Allen.  After the 2:30 mark we get cymbal crashes and at 2:45-ish we get a fast paced fuzz guitar and singing with backing vocals.   Wow, this just went from moderately paced to Bikini Kill.  This is kind of like the second half of the song, since I’ve always seen this track as a sort of split between two songs.  This is the laboratory portion.  Also, Nirvana “Nevermind” era comes out musically.  And we’re slowly fading out with some noises.  Give me a chance to catch my breath and not hurt my fingers too badly.

<2> “Fuck The Ghetto, Think About Space” – This begins with that climbing and running sort of guitar riff.  It’s fast and I hear high hats.  Then we kind of stop and the vocals start and now they’re going faster again.  This is art punk.  Is that a thing?  Because it is now.  Stop and starts with the vocals.  Bum bum bum.  And now they’re whistling and playing the piano.   Oh, as we get slower we’re sounding like David Bowie.  “Have mercy on me and make it quick / a slip of the knife is all that it takes”.   Le Tigre anyone?  Sleater Kinney?  If this does not damage my eardrums somehow I will be highly disappointed.  Is Michelle Blades a person or group I wonder?  “No I can’t bear to look at snow”.   Welcome to my world.   Snow is cold and cold does not appeal to me no matter how hot it gets.  And two vocal sets are together and then we get into a slowed down guitar riff and we are done.  Wow.

<3> “Bold War” – This is coming in harsh, like a bad radio frequency.   And here comes the Nirvana driven bass line.  Nobody cares about the bombs?  We’re all doomed then.  I found out Michelle Blades is a woman and she has a backing band.  Still, this is most awesome.  It also says “Cassettes available soon”.  Yeah, I gotta get me one of those.  I care about the bombs!  People on fire?  I REALLY care about the bombs now!!  No time for desire when you are on fire!  Wow I love this song.   That song seemed shorter than the previous two, but it just kicked the crap out of me none the less.

<4> “Bury The Feeling” – This is quiet guitar and semi-spoken vocals.  She’s complaining about snow again, which I like.  We almost kicked in on the trail of black, but we’re maintaining our composure right now.  I hear a lot of people in my past.  In the past!  I can’t forgive myself for anything.  I’d immediately forgive you.  (Sorry if this is confusing, these are responses to her lyrics)  This is so quiet musically, but when she speaks the words she sometimes shouts them, so it does get loud at times.   We’re back to the trail of black.   And we’re going out with some distorted guitar notes. 

<5> “Chapter XIII” – Begin like Smashing Pumpkins or Tool, I’m not sure which yet.  Man, you should’ve seen my notes for this compared to what I’m writing now.  I remember having this album compare to some pretty out there things that I no longer see in it (And if I said before I did, I’d end up looking stupid)  This is getting poppy again in a distorted way, like the first half of the first track.  You’ve gotta love these break downs.  Wow, where was my life before I found Michelle Blades?  “You are the only song I listen to / You are the only song I hear”  I wonder how many stalkers are going to send that lyric back to her, haha.   And thus includes an amazing set of songs that I will now listen to again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment