Friday, May 31, 2013

SBSR: The Microdance "Yo Yo @ 26 !" (In At The Eye Records)

The Microdance "Yo Yo @ 26 !" (In At The Eye Records)
Free to Stream

<1> "Yo Yo @ 26" - Now it is time to find out if this is a reference to hip hop slang or the popular childrens toy.   And the song begins in that poppy synth electro way that I've come to know from The Microdance.  They have this great rock n roll vibe that is really coming out in this song.   And then when he starts to kind of scream the words, wow, just wow.  This is somewhere between the best of The Juliana Theory, My Chemical Romance and The Stooges.   And this guitar riff is just perfect.   She's his little live wire, but that doesn't tell me which yo yo this is about yet.   Fortunately, I have yet to hear lyrics about going up and down.   I could really imagine this song being played on a giant stage to an arena of screaming fans.  It just has that big sound that I don't feel a club could contain.   All the kids are running, so maybe it's about them being a yo yo?  I don't know, but I'm going to think less about the song title now.   With everything else combined (And, why not, I can add in As Friends Rust as another comparison I can hear coming out in this song), The Microdance still manages to forge their own sound out of it all and that is quite grand.


<2> "Devour" - We beginning with guitar notes like Metallica.   Does nothing else matter?  I am waiting for this to kick in big, yes.  And here comes the guitar and here comes my Cranberries reference with it.  If this goes into "Zombie" now I will not be surprised.   No, here come some faint vocals.   Does anyone else hear "Smells Like Children" era Marilyn Manson in this or am I just crazy?  It's picking up the pace a little bit, but this seems to be a ballad of sorts.   This is the type of Nine Inch Nails song that Johnny Cash would cover.  Somebody dig up Johnny Cash and have him cover this song dammit.   Zombie Cash!  Also, with the guitar parts now, this song reminds me of The Flys.  I still hear that metal rock of whatever kind I remember when Marilyn Manson covered "Sweet Dreams", but you know, without all of the negative press.   This song is pretty dark though.  If you're a combination of shoegaze and synth pop electro rock, but you also happen to be dark, what would you be?  Because that's what The Microdance is here.  Oh, and for only a moment but then the moment is gone we get female vocals.   Is there a subgenre yet known as synth doomgaze?  Because if not, that's what I nominate this to be.   Plus it just sounds fun to say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment