Wednesday, January 16, 2013

AUDIO: Youth Lagoon

Youth Lagoon shares first single from sophomore LP, Wondrous Bughouse

Announces tour dates including Barclays Center in Brooklyn June 5, opening for The National
Trevor Powers, whose stage name is Youth Lagoon, began writing his debut album The Year of Hibernation in 2010. Based around the idea of psychological dysphoria, Powers tried to document the trails of his mind through songs of minimalism and hypnotic ambience. Powers later described his writing process as "my mind communicating with me, not the other way around...it can take me to scary places but I've realized those bizarre thoughts I have don't define me." After signing with Mississippi-based label Fat Possum Records in 2011, he toured much of the following year before going back into solitude to write.

Wondrous Bughouse, Powers' sophomore album (due March 5 worldwide via Fat Possum), was spawned from what he describes as "becoming more fascinated with the human psyche and where the spiritual meets the physical world." During the time he wrote, Powers became intrigued with the metaphysical universe and blending those ideas with pop music.

"Youth Lagoon is something so personal to me because writing music is how I sort my
thoughts, as well as where I transfer my fears," explains Powers.  

"My mental state is usually pretty sporadic... a lot of this record was influenced by a fear of mortality but embracing it at the same time. Realizing that human life is only great because it is temporary. Experimenting with ideas about dimensions. I'm not a gifted speaker, so
explaining things is difficult for me. But music always makes sense."

YOUTH LAGOON

2/25: A Club, Spokane, WA
2/26: Badlander, Missoula, MT
2/27: Filling Station, Bozeman, MT
2/28: Kilby Court, Salt Lake City, UT
3/01: Larimer Lounge Denver, CO
6/05: Barclays Center Brooklyn, NY *

* = w/ The National
   
  











Youth Lagoon 
Wondrous Bughouse 
(Fat Possum)
Street Date: March 5, 2013 
CD/LP/Digital
Pre-Order here 
  
1. THROUGH MIND AND BACK
2. MUTE
3. ATTIC DOCTOR
4. THE BATH
5. PELICAN MAN
6. DROPLA
7. SLEEP PARALYSIS
8. THIRD DYSTOPIA
9. RASPBERRY CANE
10. DAISYPHOBIA
  

No comments:

Post a Comment