Wednesday, December 26, 2012

MP3 REVIEW: Geoff Rickly “Mixtape I”

Geoff RicklyMixtape I
                In 2012, I was apparently fairly out of touch with the somewhat mainstream music as the band Thursday broke up and I didn’t even notice.   Then again, I’ve only been listening to their album “Full Collapse” because nothing that came after that did the same things for me.  (I used to have the subsequent EP, but I don’t know what happened to it)
                Following the breakup of the band, lead singer Geoff Rickly has released a collection of seven songs that are rusty acoustic and remind me of anything from Ian Curtis and Leonard Cohen to Johnny Cash and, well, Thursday.   He had a number of “friends” helping him here as well, but most of them seem to be former band members so take that for what it’s worth.
                You can download these songs for free from his official website but I got them from Band Camp for free as well.  (You can also make a donation, should you feel the need to pay for them)  I don’t feel like I need to sell you on these songs so much as just note how strange it is that they were recorded during Hurricane Sandy.   I find it odd that I was back in Connecticut for this event, as it might feel less important (And thus this release less important) had I not been so close to it.   It also makes me wish I had the hindsight to do something artistic and not just sleep during the hurricane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment