Tuesday, December 11, 2012

CD REVIEW: My Education “A Drink For All My Friends”

My EducationA Drink For All My Friends

            The first song on “A Drink For All My Friends” seems to be merely an introduction for what is to come.   What ensues are six songs- varying in length but the longest is nearly eleven and a half minutes- with the last acting almost as an outro.

            My Education offers up some instrumental rock that has strings attached at times as well as non-traditional instruments in the rock n roll genre.  This can be anything from a cello to a xylophone. 

            When I first began hearing instrumental bands (And this was over a decade ago) they sounded a lot like normal bands only without the vocals.  It was in this way that I felt like they were missing something, incomplete if you will.   Bands more recently- and My Education is amongst them- have seemingly put together these mini rock operas that are in no way missing anything.   If we ushering in this new era of instrumental bands I am certainly glad to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment