Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SBSR: I Kill Giants “Let It Out”

I Kill GiantsLet It Out
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.

<1> “Covaleski” – Ah yes, this song title displays the reference to the graphic novel of the same name as the band.   So they are named after it!   I knew it!  (No, I really didn’t know it, I just really like the graphic novel too, so…)  This song is all instrumental so far, but it’s this great fusion of improv jazz and all around crazy technically indie sounding punk.    The drummer seems to be having fun.   Right around the three minute mark, we get our first vocals as they tell us to let it out.   I’m still reminded of the episode of Dexter’s Lab called “Critical Gas”.   I wonder if they’ve ever seen that episode before.   I mean, they knew about the graphic novel for I Kill Giants, so perhaps they have also watched many of the similar cartoons that I have.
<2> “I Believe in Technology” – This has some fun guitar riffs with smashing drums following.  I like the vocal pacing in this song.   This is also a pretty fast paced and heavy song at times, but not like you’d probably think.   I DON’T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<3> “Free Gummy Bears” – The title of this song is a good way to win over fans at shows.  I haven’t seen this band live yet, but if you randomly see them opening for some band and they start handing out free gummy bears, you probably would download their free songs from Band Camp.   He just asked if he could make it through the week on twenty bucks—brother, I’ve made it through longer on much less.   This song is somewhat- musically- a slightly slower paced version of the one before it.   I also dig group vocals.  Why yes, the devil does wait for me at home.   Stupid cursed toilet… 
<4> “Something About Gnarwals” – Gnarwals are creepy looking.  And we start with some cool drums.  I like those cymbals—I think it’s the high hats, but I know nothing about drums really.   The line “all oceans are bulletproof” reminds me of the episode of Mythbusters where they tested whether or not a bullet can travel through water and kill someone underwater.   I forget how it ended, but I’m assuming this song is not lying to me.   Now they trade vocals back and forth like the non-rap version of Kriss Kross.   Who doesn’t enjoy some good “way-oh”s? 
<5> “Appa” – I have to assume this song is about the giant creature from The Last Airbender cartoon of the same name.   I’m not sure though whether or not this brings me closer or further to realizing if they ever saw that one episode of Dexter’s Lab.   Or it’s about someone named Mary Ann, with shaky hands.   This song definitely has a Kane Hodder quality to it, but I also think it can be somewhat catchy.    I also agree with their hiding underground idea.  Let’s go!
<6> “Balance” – More water talk.   They should have called this album “Oceania” (haha).   There is some fun clapping in the background as well.  I’m digging that and the crazy music.    I’ve listened to these songs before reviewing them (Yes, sometimes I do a review “in real time” and just type as I’m listening to the song for the first time, in SBSR mode at least) and I must admit that this is not only my favorite of these six songs but also one of my favorite all time songs.   It’s not just the trilling of the guitar, it’s the lyrics as well.  I may not always be writing the song, but I’m always writing something.    And at the end of the song, we get back into the “let it out” vocals from the near end of the first song, which basically is a nice way of bringing these songs full circle. 
                So obviously I listened to this after “We Can Live in the Exact Same Place” and the songs are more of what you would consider to be “standard length”, but I still think both pieces of music have their strong points and should be appreciated for what they are rather than compared. 
Recommended Downloading Level:  5/5

1 comment:

  1. Do you have an interpretation of the song "I Believe in Technology" and its meaning?

    ReplyDelete