Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SBSR: Girl Scouts “thanksalot”

Girl Scoutsthanksalot
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.

<1> “We Were Blowin’ Shit Up For Days” – We have some heavy indie rock here with vocals not that close to Hot Water Music.   There is some really intricate guitar work in here now.    I would definitely label this math rock at times.    There is also a lot of music and less vocals, which I never mind in songs.   That scream just literally scared me (Around the 2:30 mark), guess I was not expecting it at all.   But now he’s screaming the title, which is kind of fun.
<2> “Superbowl Birthday Party”   - And this song begins with start and stop guitars and an f-bomb.   They just counted to thirteen twice in a row for some reason.  I don’t get it.  I hear HWM somewhat still, but I also hear The Casket Lottery and Gatsbys American Dream.    Bells!  (Or more likely a xylophone)   And then the obligatory “Wooooo!” to follow.    And then one of those horse clompy things.  I think he keeps singing “fucking final” now, which must have something to do with the Superbowl score displeasing him.
                Overall, these two songs are quite good and if you enjoy a sound that borders on a hardcore/punk band  but isn’t quite fully that, then I suggest you listen to Girl Scouts.   And I hear if you attend their live shows they give away free Thin Mints. 
Recommended Downloading Level:  4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment