Monday, July 9, 2012

MP3 REVIEW: Shana Falana “Channel”

 Shana FalanaChannel
                The opening song on “Channel”, “Butterville Rd.”, has a very odd ambience to it and despite a sort of vocal thing going on in the background it doesn’t really have words you can sing along to.    It’s like something experimental mixed with Enya, and immediately I begin to think that Shana Falana has a new sound since “Velvet Pop”.   (Okay, so I don’t technically know which one of these albums was released first and I’m too lazy to look it up, but it’s the order in which I’m listening to them for the first time so cut me some slack.   I’m a very busy guy)
                As we get past the near seven minutes worth of the opening song, we get into the song called “Come and Find Me”, which is just pure pop bliss.    There are vocal loops, vocal echoing and just this great music that partially makes me sleepy, but I don’t fall asleep it’s just so relaxing- almost hypnotic- that it takes me to another world entirely.   And it is a world that I don’t want to leave.   I also believe I hear the ocean waves crashing in the background, amidst the strings of a cello or something of the like, and this really could just calm anyone fairly well I believe.
                From the third song to the end, the pace keeps quite better with the second song rather than the first.   This makes me very happy- no offense to the first song, but this is just a much more enjoyable sound to my ears.  
                I particularly enjoy the song “Stars”, as it presents itself as a lo-fi, sort of Vaudeville number that might have once been sung by someone like Betty Boop.    The song after that, “Cartwheels” continues in a manner like Judy Garland or Ethel Merman might sing traditionally.    I begin to think that perhaps I should have reviewed this album on a song-by-song basis, but all you really need to know is that if you’re a fan of female pop rock (Whom I can’t find a good example of right now) then this band is going to be right for you no matter how many songs off it I review in great detail.
                (And yes, I fully realize that “Ha aH” goes back to the same pattern as the first song but I simply do not mind it by this point in the mix)

Be sure to download these songs for free here:
http://shanafalana.bandcamp.com/album/channel

No comments:

Post a Comment