Tuesday, July 24, 2012

CD REVIEW: The Mean Season “s/t”

The Mean Seasons/t
                What’s with all these bands naming songs after my grandfathers?   Yes, the opening song on this EP is called “Henry”, and I have an uncle on both sides of my family named Henry and they are both juniors.   What do you think about that?  What do you think about Rah Rah beating you to the punch on the songs about Henry?    I do like their song better because it doesn’t make Henry seem like such a jerk.   In The Mean Season’s version he is not painted as a very nice guy.
                I hear portions of The Cranberries in the vocals, but the music doesn’t fit that description.   It’s more of a melodic rock, with somewhat poppy and catchy guitar chords but not too much.   It’s like a toned down version of The Muffs in a lot of ways or simply the band That Dog.
                As much as I disagree with the lyrics to “Henry”, I really do enjoy the hook to the second song, “Hearts”, which asks the question: “Who decided it was such a perfect symbol for love?  It is only an organ pumping your blood”   To answer, in brief, if your heart stops pumping blood you cease to exist, so I wouldn’t say it ~only~ pumps blood.   But yeah, I do think it’s kind of funny, like how maybe your spleen could mean love in a different culture or if whoever decided on the heart had a different idea.
                So if you’d like to hear some just delightful music fronted by the vocals of a woman who sounds like she could be the woman from The Cranberries but probably isn’t, then I recommend checking out The Mean Season.    And yes, I do like this band.    They’re peaceful and relaxing in their music, yet not so much so that they make me want to go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment