Thursday, June 28, 2012

SBSR: Ha Ha Tonka “HearYa Session at Shirk Music”

Ha Ha TonkaHearYa Session at Shirk Music
Recently, I’ve been downloading and listening to music like crazy from Band Camp.   This is a review of a group of songs by the same band I got from Band Camp- usually it constitutes an EP.   This is a song-by-song review and it is never to exceed six songs.   At the end, I will tell you the “Recommended Downloading Level”, which means whether or not I think you should spend your time downloading these songs.   It’s on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 meaning that you should stop reading my review and download these songs immediately and 1 meaning that if you even think about downloading these songs your computer will be infected with a horrific bad music virus.   Enjoy.
<1> “Gusto” – This is a sort of country song mixed with not.   I hear parts of the Verve Pipe and, honestly, even Seven Mary Three coming out in this song.   Which is not as bad as it seems.
<2> “Caney Mountain” –   Before this song started I learned that these songs are actually live, which is kind of neat.   They’re recorded really well though—you can’t tell that they’re live.    This is another one of those sort of country rock songs leaning slightly closer to Seven Mary Three.
<3> “Falling In” – This song is starting off slower, and more acoustic sounding with higher vocals.   This could almost be something off of “Yoshimi” era Flaming Lips.  
<4> “Hang Man” – They’re introducing this song as being acapella on their album and how they stole the melody from some old lady from Memphis.   Wow, this reminds me so much of Seven Mary Three it’s not even funny.   Are these guys a new version of 7M3?  Email me: raisedbygypsies@yahoo.com I need to know!
<5> “Nicks on the Fourth in a Fervor” - For some reason, I really want beer nuts.   He just said they were on tour with the Meat Puppets, but I know they’re on tour this summer with Murder by Death.   This is a bit of that Highway Man feel to it, but I’m still hearing Seven Mary Three.   Honestly. 
                I downloaded these songs for free as part of my eMusic deal, so I don’t know how you could get them as not an eMusic member but perhaps it’s worth looking into.
Recommended Downloading Level:  3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment